The Net Impact Trend List is a semi-weekly look at relevant news, blogs, trending searches, and our client successes. For those interested in social media, SEO, and web development, trend on.
Worth a Look
- To accommodate the ever-increasing mobile market, many web services are converting to HTML5 to allow a seamless experience across all devices. This week the popular content-sharing site SlideShare moved to an HTML5 site. This will allow smartphone and tablet users to quickly access presentation slides and documents on the go.
- This week Google announced a new way for websites to make their top content “standout”. With Google’s standout HTML tag, sites can highlight articles they wish to appear as “Featured” in the news results. To prevent abuse, Google will ignore sites that use the tag more than seven times per week.
- The changes to Facebook announced last week at the f8 conference will have a major impact on how brands use the social network to connect with fans. This week The Net Impact team posted a point of view on how the Facebook changes will affect brands.
- The Net Impact team also hosted an event in the offices this week. Laura Stude of Famous Footwear presented social media strategies and insights for enterprise-level brands. To see her presentation and our major takeaways, check out our September event recap.
Find out the search terms that have been trending on Google during the past week. Data was gathered using Google’s Insights for Search tool.
Panic that Facebook would soon begin charging went viral this week, inciting a fury of search activity, though it turned out to be untrue. Google’s doodle celebrating Jim Henson and the threat of a NASA satellite falling to Earth generated significant traffic as well.
- 1. facebook charging (Breakout)
- 2. jim henson (Breakout)
- 3. vesta williams (Breakout)
- 4. herman cain (+1,550%)
- 5. nancy grace (+700%)
- 6. terra nova (+450%)
- 7. satellite falling (+400%)
- 8. satellite (+160%)
- 9. ufc (+160%)
- 10. battlefield 3 (+100%)
TNI Partner Spotlight
- Partner Union Pacific was named Rail Carrier of the year by Owens Corning. Congratulations to UP on their award!
Stay up to date on industry news and commentary, TNI happenings, and events with web experts. Sign up for The Impact Update today!