The Net Impact Trend List is a semi-weekly look at relevant news, blogs, trending searches, and our client successes. For those interested in social media, SEO, and web development, trend on.
Worth a Look
- Mobile devices, specifically smartphones, continue to rise in popularity and advertisers are catching on. A recent report from eMarketer states that this year $1.23 billion will be spent on mobile advertising. This spending is expected to increase to $4.4 billion by 2015, with the majority of the dollars going to display and search ads.
- Social media recommendation signals, like tweets, “likes”, and +1s are valuable to a brand and are certainly noticed by search engines. However, it’s up for debate just how much these signals impact SEO. This article on ZDNet argues that right now, social media doesn’t have a strong direct impact on SEO.
- Retail mega-chain Walmart is getting slightly more intimate this week as it launches 3,600 localized Facebook pages. Users can access pages for stores nearby to get more relevant information, like store maps and pricing changes. Will this split the online consumer base or provide a more localized touch? We await to see the results of this new strategy.
Find out the search terms that have been trending on Google during the past week. Data was gathered using Google’s Insights for Search tool.
This week, search traffic was focused on the death of Steve Jobs and its impact on Apple. The term “steve jobs” was the 3rd most searched term in overall volume in the US this past week, a sign of his overwhelming influence on the digital world today. Our condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Jobs.
- 1. al davis (Breakout)
- 2. steve jobs died (+1,600%)
- 3. steve jobs (+1,350%)
- 4. steve jobs dead (+550%)
- 5. apple stock (+500%)
- 6. yom kippur (+350%)
- 7. yom kippur 2011 (+300%)
- 8. apple.com (+140%)
- 9. occupy wall street (+80%)
- 10. apple (+70%)
TNI Partner Spotlight
- Last week U.S. News and World Report placed Sandberg Phoenix & von Gontard P.C. (@SandbergPhoenix) in the top-tier of 2011-2012 U.S. News Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms”. Congratulations to Sandberg Phoenix for attaining this high praise!
- We love to see our partners working internationally. Last week The ROHO Group (@TheROHOGroup) attended the International Home Care & Rehabilitation Exhibition in Tokyo, Japan. There are plenty of great photos of the event on The ROHO Group’s Facebook page.
Stay up to date on industry news and commentary, TNI happenings, and events with web experts. Sign up for The Impact Update today!