The Net Impact Trend List is a weekly look at relevant news, blogs, trending searches, and our client successes. For those interested in social media, SEO, and web development, trend on.
Worth a Look
- As 2011 draws to a close, many are beginning to look at the year in review. With data from their 100 million monthly active users, Twitter.com has gathered the Hot Topics of 2011. Check it out to see the people, places, and events that became big time trends in social media channels this year.
- While Twitter can be a powerful channel for cultivating content and broadcasting ideas, many users find the social network difficult to understand initially. Sometimes it can be difficult to get friends and family plugged into the slightly unintuitive systems and jargon. Mom This is How Twitter Works is a fun resource we’ve been looking at this week that explains the nuances of Twitter conversations in an interesting and easy-to-understand manner. Perfect for the Mom who doesn’t know the difference between a hashtag and a retweet!
- Twitter made waves last week with a major redesign of its web page, as well as the introduction of brand specific pages. These more robust profiles allow brands to better control the look of their page and feature certain pieces of content. The Twitter redesign also has some big implications for video sharing on brand pages that could further cement a brand’s presence on the social network.
- Last week as we wrote about Google+ brand pages compared to Facebook pages, we were interested on how Google+ users might differ from the average Facebook user. Here’s a great infographic highlighting the key characteristics of the Google+ demographic.
Find out the search terms that have been trending on Google during the past week. Data was gathered using Google’s Insights for Search tool.
This week, search traffic on Google followed major news items like the shooting at Virginia tech, the trade of Albert Pujols to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, and the 70th anniversary of Pearl Harbor.
- 1. virginia tech shooting (Breakout)
- 2. lunar eclipse( +3,650%)
- 3. lindsay lohan (+1,350%)
- 4. pujols (+1,250%)
- 5. virginia tech (+1,250%)
- 6. pearl harbor (+750%)
- 7. chris paul (+500%)
- 8. rick perry (+450%)
- 9. lakers (+350%)
- 10. xbox live (+110%)
TNI Partner Spotlight
- Did you know The ROHO Group was featured in a Chevrolet commercial with the Achilles Freedom Team of Wounded Veterans? Check out a ROHO Cushion in action!
- Nawgan Products, the team behind the “mind-sharpening” beverage of the same name, are holding a Nawgan Facebook photo contest. The winning picture-taker gets an iPad 2, so get to thinking!
Stay up to date on industry news and commentary, TNI happenings, and events with web experts. Sign up for The Impact Update today!